The forecast is calling for rain the date of your session. What do you do? Panic right? Scheduling sessions outside can be a bargain. I usually wait until the day before to check the forecast and ask clients what back up plan they would like to choose. Due to weather being fickle, I allow my clients to wait 2-4 hours before their shoot to make the call about their session. Scared to make that call? Here are some options moving forward;
1. Choose a different start time. If there are not other sessions scheduled we can move your time around. I find most “rainy days” turn out to be some sun and some rain. We can just move you to a better hour. I can’t even begin to tell you when it’s been pouring all day and then when the session time hits, there is a break in the clouds and it’s perfect weather.
2. Do it anyway. Bring your umbrella, some cute rain boots and channel your inner Donald O’Connor and sing in the rain.
3. Turn your session in to a lifestyle shoot. Have me come to your home and photograph you doing everyday things. Bake together, start a fire and roast some marshmallows, brew some coffee (or hot cocoa) and cozy up to a good book. Not only will your house smell amazing but it’ll capture you in every day life. You did your hair and make-up, why not live it up.
4. Studio Session. Come to my studio. I have a small one in my home for small children and families of 4 or less.
5. Reschedule. Please know this is subject to availability and I can’t guarantee the new date will have better weather. (This is especially true as we approach the colder months when the sun is limited and sessions are most popular)
I know it can be stressful deciding what is best. I’m always willing to shoot in a light drizzle but I leave the decision up to the client. I want to make sure he or she is not stressed and is their very best self when I shoot so if they are relaxed about it, I say go for it and see what happens.
Have you done something fun in the event of rain? Comment below. I’d love to read about it.
Photography by Tekso
Get my free Portrait Session Style Guide. That’s right, 100% free. Learn tips on how and where to schedule your session. What you should wear and how to get the whole family excited about getting photos taken. Click HERE to get yours today!
Are you interested in having your photos taken? Fill out my contact form and instantly receive information on me, my style and pricing (No obligation to book). Not ready? No problem! Follow me and stay up to date with Kara Hanes Photography (I even have a little freebie for you when you join!)